Kids and sleep. They just approach it differently. It is more of an option some nights than a necessity. You think after you finally get them to stop needing a midnight feeding you are home free…but to my amazement my boys STILL wake up frequently in the middle of the night. And it seems- they are not happy until I am awake with them. Now I am a girl who loves (and needs) her sleep- so it is probably the worst thing in the world for me to be woken up. But when my door creaks open once, sometimes twice a night I almost laugh at what I am hearing. Here are a few favorites….
* "My bed is wet…but I don’t know if its pee" (it was)
* "I have to go to the bathroom…and your potty is better than ours"
* "Mom, I forgot I have to have 3 paper towel rolls by tomorrow…can you go get those?"
* "Mom, is it normal for a hamster to be squeaking?" (thankfully -it is )
* "The purple man is falling off the cliff!" (sleep walking nightmare-yeah fun)
* "I think I might wanna throw up. Can I throw up in here?"
* "The stupid Disneyland fireworks woke me up! Can’t you call them and tell them to knock it off?"
* "Mom wake up. I don’t feel good and I need you to fix me!"
* "I think our neighbors are drunk. They are talking really loud. Go tell them to drink coke."
* "Is Dad home yet?" (this happens every night my husband is to return from China- even if he is scheduled to come home the following DAY)
* "Mommy- please can you shut off my brain? I can’t go back to sleep!" (Jack was 3 at the time)
* And my favorite, heard on a night when I needed it the most: "Can I sleep in here? I miss you when I close my eyes and you are not there…"